A Dose of Los

Ridiculous ramblings and unamusing anecdotes.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Portentous omens...

Well, got to go for a good little ride out at Lake Hodges yesterday, and on the way back, it seemed like the Universe was trying to tell me something.
See, D and I have been planning to move to Texas later this year to help take care of my parents. But lately, it seems like a lot of stuff has been going wrong, and that we might not be able to continue to live in San Diego much longer. Not if we wanted to do the things we enjoy, like eating at least once a day. So we decided, after much deliberation, and budget reworking, that I'd quit school early and we'd bump the move up to the end of June, instead of October like we had originally planned. Now, while I'd like to finish my schooling here, it's just not worth it. D wanted me to finish, but it just doesn't make sense right now.
Anyway, back to the ride. I had a good one, as I said, and on the way back to the car, I opted to take this little singletrack offshoot. I had decided earlier to avoid it on the way back and just stay on the fire road, but when I got to the trail I just took it. It's a little climb, with a rutted, semi-technical descent. On the way up, I saw my first roadrunner in California. Now, I know they're not unusual here, but I've not seen a single one. This was a big male, with a little snake in it's beak. And it stopped to look at me before it ran into the brush. Next, right as I got back onto the fire road, I got swooped by a hawk. Well, maybe not swooped, but it came probably 10 or 15 feet overhead. When I stopped to look at it, I didn't see it anywhere. Hmmm...
I got to the concrete path that lead back to the car, and lo and behold, there's a couple of bluebonnets! At least they looked like bluebonnets to me.
Finally, when I was loading the bike on the car, and older gent whom I'd just passed asked me if I'd seen the big rattlesnake lying across the fire road in the middle of a blind corner. I asked where it was, and he described a place on the fire road I'd missed due to my singletrack detour.
I know there's a lot of people who don't believe in stuff like signs, or omens, or whatever, but I do.
I guess our decision to move to Texas sooner was the right one, after all. Or am I just nuts?

Los

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home