A Dose of Los

Ridiculous ramblings and unamusing anecdotes.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Coming clean...

Alright, some people might get the wrong idea when they read back a couple of posts. I have to admit, I'm not the angry, put-upon bike mechanic I used to be. It's just so easy to fall back on what we're used to. I have my wife Daniella to thank for keeping me in check, actually. The problem is, she calls me on my bullshit. Like when I say that I'm bummed about not racing 24 hour races. I chose not to race this year. I enjoy it, but I'd rather not put us in that stress right now, and honestly, I didn't want to dedicate my time to that. Telling myself that we can't afford it is just easier to deal with than realizing that I just don't want to, right now. I don't like facing that reality, but I can't lie to her, and I know I shouldn't lie to myself, or anyone else, either. As much as I hate that, that's also what I love about her. She doesn't let me be disingenuous, or hypocritical.
So, yeah, I'm not the bitter, surly wrench-thrower that a lot of people think of when they picture "bike mechanic" in their heads. In all actuality, I don't even work in a shop anymore- not officially, anyway.
I am going to massage school to become an acupressurist, a "healing facilitator." She's making it possible by busting her ass everyday at a job she hates. She's very supportive, and giving. So my outlook on life, and humanity in general, has improved. I still think that cars kill, but I'm not nearly as militant as I used to be. Or as evangelical about my stuff, be it single speeds, fixed gears, whatever. If I can make a difference in someone's life and turn them on to bikes as a pastime, transportation, what have you, that'd be great. But that's not the end-all, be-all of my existence.
You see, I love my wife. She makes me a better person. A more positive person. If I could do the same for her, that would make me accomplished. I'm a lucky guy.
Anyway, I regularly read the blog of one Matt Chester, who, if you aren't familiar, builds some really cool bikes. And I have to admit, I admire a fair amount. He fights the good fight, but with a more positive attitude than I'm used to. He likes to use the mantra, "calm down." I think I'll adopt it as my own. Anyway, in the current post, he reprints (is that the right term, in this electronic age?) an article written by another hero of mine, Mike Ferrentino. Go to the link and read it. It's a great example of what I think of the state of the bicycle industry as a whole. Good stuff.
If you haven't yet, listen to some Radiohead. Daniella and I have both been listening to Kid A and O.K. Computer a lot lately, and they're both beautiful albums. A little depressing for some, but truly art.
That's it for today. Keep the rubber side down, and be well,

Los

2 Comments:

Blogger rickyd 2 said...

Extremely cool bike, Los. What gearing do you run in your parts? Our hills aren't as high as yours, but I'm just trying to get an idea what others use because I have a big 24 hour race later this year that I need to be prep'ing for.

Cheers,

rickyd aka drevil

4:50 PM  
Blogger gpsser said...

Hey Los, nice page. I just migrated my blog off of fooriders and onto blogspot as well. Thanks for getting me hooked on running the CrossCheck off road. Don't know if I will ever go with a 29er, but having the fixed CC as an option is really cool

Ken (gpsser)
cycleslips

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home