A Dose of Los

Ridiculous ramblings and unamusing anecdotes.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Here we go again...

We're moving in 3 months. In the not-quite 4 years D and I have been together, we've moved 4 times. Not too bad, until you consider that we've been in the same place for 2 1/2 of those years. It's not so much that we mind relocating. In fact, we both relish the change of environments. The problem is, we always seem to move when it's really fucking hot. I don't know why this is. We even tried to avoid it on the move to Tejas, but then, BAM! things change and here we are, moving 1200 miles away in the middle of summer.
We're pretty glad to be moving, honestly. It's not that SoCal has been a bad place to live, but it's been impossible for us to get ahead. It's really, really expensive to live here there's just no way we'd ever be able to buy a house.
Wait a tick, did I just say that? That's right, folks, I said that. Never in a million years would I have ever imagined myself realistically thinking about homeownership (apparently, that's a "real" word.)This is coming from a guy who has considered living out of a tent for long periods of time. Guess who's joining adulthood?
It's not like I'm hot on the idea of "owning" a piece of land. We all know, somewhere deep down inside, that you don't "own" land. The land will still be here when our great, great, grandkiddies are pushing up their little daisies. It's more a matter of being able to do pretty much what we want with the place we live. Making it our own for the time we're there. D and I both bristle at the idea that landlords decide whether or not you get to paint your living room green, or plant a garden, or install a tandoori oven in your backyard.
We're also looking forward to having a better support network. We've made some good friends since we've been here, but they've been few and far between, I have people in San Antonio who've been my friends for decades. That, and my family's pretty tight.
On to bike-related stuff. There's a 24 hour race in Tejas that I'll be doing come October. This will be my first on the fixed gear, so I'm gonna have to start ramping up the mileage sometime fairly soon. The good news is, D is taking steps to not put all of her time and energy into the life-suckers at her job, so she'll have more time to come out and play with me.
That's it for now, but expect more...

Los

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home