A Dose of Los

Ridiculous ramblings and unamusing anecdotes.

Thursday, December 09, 2010

I don't want to like my bike.

For the last 10 years, I've been riding steel bikes, and for a lot of that rigid (and fixed, for about 6 years.)
After the untimely death of my Wily last summer, I've been riding a "temporary" replacement, a '10 Gary Fisher Rig.

First aluminum frame since my short-lived Bianchi BUSS. First suspension since my White Bros., about 7 years ago. First mass-produced frame since the Karate Monkey.
I figured that after the Shenandoah 100, I'd ditch it for another steel frame, preferably custom.

I really want to hate it. And anything that's bad, like the creaking EBB, makes me cringe.
But I have to admit- this thing rides really well. I rode a technical, rough, fast ride on Sunday with a guy who's 15 years younger than me, and waaaay more talented. The bike handled great. I, on the other hand, couldn't quite get it together to clean some sections that I know I can. Not the bike's fault. This trail requires rhythm, and once you goof a section it's really easy to be off your game.

This thing's not going to impress the MTBR e-lluminati; it's mostly stock, just like all the other Rigs out there. it's not special, or unique, or particularly cool. Which makes me start to rethink my wanton desire for a By:Stickel, or a Coconino, or Black Cat, or Hunter, or Retrotec or...

Why do I fall victim to the bike lust? I spent many, many years telling customers in the bike shop not to listen to the hype about high-tech materials or the latest-and-greatest technological advances in grips. I've told them that the tried-and-true technique of riding what you like should inform buying decisions. Now what happened to me? Is a custom frame going to ride noticeably better? Will I have any better time on a snazzy, one of a kind, hand built by a master frame?
Probably not. I know I'll get another custom frame eventually, if nothing else than there's a lot of really neat ideas being welded together out there, and I appreciate the art and craft of it.
But maybe I shouldn't be in such a hurry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home